LYMINGTON AND PENNINGTON TOWN COUNCIL RESPONSIBILITIES
Responsibilities include open spaces, play areas, sports and other facilities, allotments and some events
Lymington and Pennington Town Council is the first tier of local government serving approximately 15,000 local residents across both Lymington and Pennington.
The aim of every Town Council is to work towards improving community well being and providing better services at a local level. Their activities fall into three main categories: representing the local community; delivering services to meet local needs; striving to improve quality of life and community well being.
Through an extensive range of discretionary powers Lymington and Pennington Town Council provides and maintains a variety of important and visible local services. Their day to day responsibilities, maintenance and administration include:
- Woodside Park, Rookes Lane, Lymington SO41 8FP
- Pennington Common, Ramley Road, Pennington SO41 8HF
- Chequers Green, Lymington S041 8AH
- Woodley Gardens, Alexandra Road, Lymington
- Forest Gate, Lymington
- Old Orchards, Lymington
- Meadowlands, Pennington
- Farnleys Mead, Lymington
- Vitre Gardens, Lymington
- Grove Gardens, Grove Road, Lymington SO41 3RF
- St Thomas Park, Lymington
- Priestlands Pond, Lymington
If you would like to apply to use the land at Woodside, Bath Road or Pennington Common for an event – please complete an Open Spaces form available from the council offices (call 02380 285893)
- Emsworth Road Play Area, Emsworth Road, Lymington SO41 9AW
- Deneside Copse Play Area, Deneside Copse, Pennington SO41 8JJ
- Howards Mead Play Area, Howards Mead, Pennington SO41 8GH
- Pennington Common Play Area, Ramley Road, Pennington SO41 8HF – to be completely refurbished summer 2017
- Woodside Park Play Area, Rookes Lane, Lymington SO41 8FP
- Woodside Park Skatepark, Rookes Lane, Lymington SO41 8FP
- Bath Road Play Area, Bath Road, Lymington SO41 3SE
- Lymington Meadows Play Area, Lower Buckland Road, Lymington SO41 9DH
- Woodside Pavillion: Rugby, Cricket, Football, Croquet, Netball (Tennis Courts in Woodside Park have no charge but are on a first come/first serve basis). The pavillion underwent a complete refurbishment in 2016.
- Pennington Recreation Ground, Lodge Road, Lymington SO41 8HH (Football and Cricket)
- Lymington Sports Ground, Southampton Road, Lymington SO41 9AS (Football and Cricket) – an extensive £344,000 refurbishment programme is currently underway (spring 2017) and the Town Council has appointed contractor HH Drew to deliver the programme which once completed will provide new changing rooms and toilets plus improved disabled user facilities and an upgraded and extended clubroom. The scheme is being funded with grants from the Football Stadia Improvement Scheme and the ECB, plus developer contributions and Town Council resources.
- Lymington Bowls Club, Avenue Road, Lymington SO41 9PA
- Lymington Tennis Club, Avenue Road, Lymington SO41 9PA is owned but not run by the Town Council. Find out more about Lymington Tennis Club.
- Petanque Court, Emsworth Road, Lymington SO41 3SE. Players meet on Tuesday afternoons between 2pm and 4pm. Newcomers are welcome and can be supplied with all the kit required. A social session takes place each Thursday from 6pm. If you would like to get involved, you are welcome to turn up at 2pm on Tuesdays or call Chris on 01202 425063 or 07968 486762 for more information. It is free for anyone to use during daylight hours.
You need to live within the respective ward to apply for an allotment.
- Deneside Copse Allotments, Deneside Copse, Pennington SO41 8JJ
- Marsh Lane Allotments, March Lane, Lymington SO41 9EW
- Woodside Park Allotments, Rookes Lane, Lymington SO41 8FP
- Band Stand, Bath Road, Lymington
- Lymington Sea Water Baths, Bath Road, Lymington. This is currently run by Lynx Management.
- Lymington Charter Market, High Street, Lymington (Saturdays only)
- War Memorials: Pennington, Walhampton and St Thomas Church in Lymington
- Clocks: St Thomas Church and Pennington
- Bus Shelters: Lymington and Pennington
- Woodside Public Conveniences, Rookes Lane, Lymington SO41 8FP
- Pavilions in Pennington and Woodside
Lymington & Pennington Town Council organises the following events
- Lymington Charter Market every Saturday
- Christmas in Lymington High Street (This year 24th November 2017 from 4pm to 8pm)
- Remembrance Day Parade (This year 12th November 2017)
- Italia Festival (July each year)
Other occasions including Fireworks, Donkey Derby etc. are organised by outside parties (such as the Rotary Club) who apply to use our Open Spaces for such events.
What the Town Council does NOT do
There is sometimes confusion about the responsibilities of the different councils in the region. The Town Council is NOT responsible for the following areas which are the responsibility of the respective authorities listed.
New Forest District Council is responsible for housing, council Tax, local planning, garden waste, benefits, car parking, road closures, recycling and waste collection. You can contact NFDC at: New Forest District Council, Avenue Road, Lymington SO41 9ZG. Tel: 02380 285000
Hampshire County Council is responsible for roads and footpaths, education, highways and strategic planning within the county. You can contact HCC at: Hampshire County Council, The Castle, Winchester SO23 8UJ. Tel: 0300 555 1375
New Forest National Park Authority is responsible for trees and planning in the National Park. You can contact NFNPA at: New Forest National Park Authority, Avenue Road, Lymington SO41 9ZG. Tel: 01590 646600
Contact the Town Council
The Contact details for the office are:
Lymington and Pennington Town Council, Town Council Office, Town Hall, Avenue Road, Lymington, SO41 9ZG.
Tel. 02380 285893
Updated May 2017.