How to add your events free on Lymington.com
From June 2020 even if you have added events previously you will now need to first to register your organisation on Lymington.com
You will then log in to your User Dashboard whenever you wish to both add and edit events.
Add your upcoming events, both live and virtual, to our new Events Calendar. We draw people to the calendar every week from our social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn) and in our Weekly What's On email to subscribers (not getting the newsletter? Subscribe here!) And, every week Lymington.com reaches out to 60,000 people to promote and champion local businesses and organisations - find out how you can get your event publicised and promoted on the Lymington.com channel.
So now, first you need to REGISTER on Lymington.com (or see below if you have a listing already)
- Open www.lymington.com and click on the ‘Advertising’ menu item followed by ‘Packages’
- Select the 'Basic Free Listing' package.
- Complete the registration form with your name, username, email address, choose a password and be sure to read the Terms & Conditions and check the box - then click on ‘Create Account'.
- Once you’ve registered you will be required to activate your account. An email will be sent with instructions, to the email address you provided
- When you log in you will land on the User Dashboard Page, now select your business listing.
Log in any time by clicking on the orange header bar at the top of the website.
If you already have a listing on Lymington.com (whether Member or free basic listing) you can log in with your existing Username and Password
How to add an event
Follow the instructions below to add your event to Lymington.com - please pay particular attention to the instructions in orange, which can delay your event going live. Try to imagine you are reading the details - do they give the information needed to find out about your event?
Accessing events from the User Dashboard
- Access your user dashboard by selecting the link in the website footer (or logging into the Lymington.com).
- Select 'Events' in the user menu on the left-hand side of the User Dashboard (or scroll down if on mobile until you see 'Events'), then select 'Events' again in the dropdown (see image below).
- Click the 'Add new event' button at the top right of the User Dashboard - this will open the Editor to allow you to complete your event details.
Once you have clicked to add an event, make sure you select your organisation from the dropdown at the top of the page.
- Name: provide the title of your event
- Short Description: this is what appears on Lymington.com when the events are summarised by date. There is a limit of 150 characters (not words). Include summary event information here including start and end times if relevant.
- Long Description appears with the image as the main information about your event. Repeat summary information then include as much detail in here as you can to entice people to your event.
- Type: select Live or Virtual (virtual for online 'events')
- Price: if you have tickets for your events, you can put in the price. By default it shows £ Sterling.
- Category: choose the most appropriate one for your event.
- It’s important to get this right, otherwise your event might appear several times in the calendar for the same event.
- Enter your start date using the calendar selector, if you wish to add an end date, please select it from the calendar and check the 'Show end date' box.
- By default it should show UK time
- Enter the event Start time and End time, click the boxes to 'Show start time' and 'Show end time'
- There is also a Doors Open time which you only need to complete if relevant to your event.
- Your business/organisation details will already be showing at the top of the Event, if you would like to repeat showing your business details, along with any other businesses or organisations linked to the event, you may do so here. Please note, all businesses/organisations will need a business listing on Lymington.com in order to be selected.
- Its really important to put as much detail as you can in this section to ensure people know where to find your event, how to contact you etc.
- You have to put in the address details in order for the event to save.
- NB: Make sure you put in the event location NOT your home address!
- Your audience likes a map!
- Drag the map marker to the correct location on the map. Use the + and - buttons to zoom in and out, so that you can position the map marker accurately.
- This section enables you to set up repeats, perfect if your event is over a period of time, or will repeat regularly.
Before you can schedule a recurring/repeating event you must complete all other fields and save the event first. This will then load the Recurring Events section.
The descriptions of each field are below:
- Repeats: set the recurring method: daily, weekly, monthly, or yearly.
- Repeat every: set the recurring interval for the events series
- Start on: set the start date of the recurring series.
- Ends: there are 2 options available. You can set an end date or you can set the number of occurrences. The start and end date are always linked to the event start and end date.
- The events will be created until the end date is lower than the end day set on the date field or when the number of occurrences is reached.
- If your event will be repeating on a particular day then check the relevant day.
- NB: When the recurring is used, all the events that are created using the recurring option will be part of a series and can all be modified together.
Event contact information
- Enter a relevant telephone number and email address for the event.
- You can upload images to support your event, as well as add a promotional video using a YouTube or Vimeo URL. Additionally, event attachments such as programs/leaflets can be uploaded.
- Image: you may have to reduce the size of your image (to “web” size) in order for it to upload as images larger than 250kb will not load. Ideal image size if you're resizing is 600 x 400 (landscape shape). Images MUST be jpeg or png format.
- Keep it simple
- Meta Title: The title of your event
- Meta Description: a short description of your event - try and keep it below 150 characters. This is picked up by search engines and should be actual sentences not a list of keywords. We suggest you repeat the Short Description here.
When you're ready to save
- When you’re ready, click on the orange Submit Your Event button. We will then receive notification of your event and will check it on the system before making it live.
- Please note: we normally approve events within 48 hours. The best way for you to see if your event is live is to keep checking the Events Calendar for date of your event - click on the date on the calendar and a pop up box will appear - scroll through the events which are shown in chronological order.
- You can edit your event details at any time by logging in to your User Dashboard.
You can now edit your events!
If your event details change (or you spot a mistake!) you can now log in and edit your events at your convenience. If you edit a repeating event you will be asked on saving the changes if the change(s) relate to 'just this event', 'all following events' or 'all events in the series.'
See your statistics and reach further!
From your User Dashboard, you'll be able to see how many people have viewed your event(s).
If you'd like your event to reach more people consider one of our Lymington.com Membership packages. Whether you have a business, a club, or other organisation, the Lymington.com website together with its social media and direct email communications can promote you to 60,000+ people weekly, always reinforcing the key message: to buy and do business locally.Advertise on Lymington.com