What’s on in Lymington and the New Forest over the summer holidays.
Ideas of things to do for children and families, whether local or visiting Lymington and the New Forest.
updated 17 July 2017
Last week we published our Summer Events in Lymington and the New Forest, with details of all the main events happening in July and August. There are lots of other exciting things happening in Lymington, the New Forest and surrounding areas over the school summer holidays, for visitors and locals.
Here is a roundup of 'things to do' for families and children in and around Lymington and the New Forest. Take a look also at our fun days out feature if you're looking to venture slightly further afield. And for those having to juggle work with school holidays, we have information about holiday childcare.
To see what's on day by day, take a look at our What's On section which details events in and around Lymington. Remember, if you're organising a local event then add your event to the Lymington.com calendar for free! We will be updating this page throughout the summer, so do keep checking back for ideas!
Things to do on the water...
- The Lymington Sea Water Baths are open throughout the school holidays from 10am to 6pm each day, whatever the weather. Inflatables, zorbs and SUPs are waiting... great fun, whatever the weather - and let's face it, once you're wetsuited up and in the water the rain doesn't matter! Snacks available
- Elmers Court also has an outside pool, open daily for non members as well as members and guests at the hotel from 10am to 8pm. Cold drinks and snacks are available to purchase either from the snack shack near the poolside or the Scottish Steak Club which is a short walk away.
- Kayak or paddle board with the New Forest Paddle Sport Company at Keyhaven near Milford on Sea. A great family activity - SUP taster sessions and kayak taster sessions, as well as tours to Hurst Castle along the beautiful Keyhaven coastline. Children must be accompanied by an adult.
- New Forest Activities offers kayaking and canoeing on the Beaulieu River and throughout the summer combine kayaking with cycling in the New Forest for Family Adventure Days.
- Learn to sail! Find out more about learning to sail in Lymington.
- Stay on a boat! Beds on Board have boats available in Lymington as well as all over the world! Find out more.
For all sports holiday camps and clubs, see our Holiday Childcare article...
Things to do in Lymington...
- St Barbe Museum reopens on Sunday 29th July. Visit to find out all about Lymington and it's history. All ages are welcome.
- Lymington Cinema will be showing: My Life as a Courgette (PG) on Mon 31st July, Tues 1st, Weds 2nd, Thurs 3rd and Fri 4th August at 11am, Despicable Me 3 (U) on Mon 14th, Tues 15th, Weds 16th, Thurs 17th and Fri 18th August at 11am and Cars 3 (U) on Tues 29th, Weds 30th, Thurs 31st August and Fri 1st September at 11am
- Lymington Charter Market is every Saturday 8am to 4pm on Lymington High Street - come and explore the wealth of different stalls! Find out more about Lymington's famous market...
- Explore the bargains at the New Forest Car Boot Sale on Sunday 28th May and Sunday 4th June from 6.30am to 1pm. A great way to find some different pre-loved toys to play with!
- Learn more about Lymington! Lymington Town Tours provide walks with an interesting insight around the local area on Wednesdays and Sundays. Wed 30th Jul The walls walk. Sun 30th Jul and Sun 27th Aug: The story of Lymington. Wed 2nd Aug: Milford: voices from the grave. Sun 6th Aug: Victorian Lymington. Wed 9th Aug: Courts and Alleyways. Sun 13th Aug: The story of Milford. Wed 16th Aug: Sea, Salt and Smuggling. Sun 20th Aug: The story of Pennington. Sun 3rd Sept: Trains, tolls and tributes.
- Discover Lymington's playgrounds! Find out more about where to play from some intrepid experts...
- Pick your own strawberries at Goodall's Farm! And whilst you're there, try out the New Adventure Golf next door!
- At Lymington Library, Rhyme Time continues throughout the holidays every Tuesday 2-2.30pm and every Wednesday 11-11.30am for children aged 0-4 with their parents/carers. The Construction Club also continues through the holidays 2.30-4pm every Saturday. All these events are free of charge.
Family fun in the New Forest...
- The New Forest & Hampshire County Show will be taking place on 25th, 26th and 27th July at New Park in Brockenhurst. There is 15% off tickets purchased online before 18th July and 5% off tickets purchased online thereafter. Frequent direct shuttle buses will be running between Brockenhurst Station direct to the heart of the Show (free for advanced ticket holders, otherwise £3 for adult return/£2 for child return).
- The New Forest Tour buses are back in operation until 11th September, with three routes again this year. Two of the routes stop in Lymington: the green route (Lymington, Beaulieu, Exbury, Hythe, Lyndhurst, Brockenhurst) and the blue route (Lymington, Brockenhurst, Burley, New Milton, Barton on Sea, Milford on Sea).
- It's Wild Wednesday at the New Forest Reptile Centre every Wednesday in August, with fun activities for the whole family. Quiz trail and ‘making’ activities for children. Come and see the ‘live’ bird on the nest and the reptiles and amphibians. Wear suitable outdoor clothing and footwear. Booking is not required.
- New Forest Centre in Lyndhurst is holding Family Discovery Days on various dates throughout the school holiday (check link for dates). New Forest themed trails, quizzes and craft activities for all the family. Suitable for all ages, small charge for materials. Standard Museum entry (accompanied under 16s go free), no booking required.
- At Bolderwood from 29th July to 3th September, be a Gruffalo Spotter! £3 per pack, dogs welcome on leads. There is also a downloadable app. Whilst you're there, cross over the road and see if any deer can be spotted in the Deer Sanctury. A lovely walk on forest paths.
- Also at Bolderwood on 1st, 15th and 29th August, Rock up and explore the New Forest with a volunteer ranger. Rock up and explore at Blackwater on 8th and 22nd August.
- If you're wild about ponies, find out more at Bolderwood on 3rd and 24th August at Bolderwood and on 17th August at Hatchet Pond.
- Big Owls, for 4-6 year olds will be taking place on 28th July at Home Farm: a morning of plant themed fun and games at the Farm.
- At Lepe Country Park there is a summer holiday trail available every day throughout the holidays. Plus Marine Wonders on 8th and 9th August, Seashore discovery trail on 3rd August, Nature Detectives on 1st and 17th August, Bat Walks on 23rd and 24th August. There is also a beach clean up day at Lepe on 3rd September.
- Head to Beaulieu for a fun-filled family day out this summer, as a fascinating programme of living history brings Beaulieu to life with the sights and sounds of the past this Summer from 22nd July to 3rd September. Transport yourself back to the middle ages and meet Brother Peter in the Beaulieu Abbey! Falconry demonstrations, discover what life was like in the 1800s and enjoy Victorian music in Palace House. See veteran and vintage cars driving around with occupants in period costumes. All included in the general admission ticket which includes the National Motor Museum, Beaulieu Abbey, Palace House and World of Top Gear.
Lymington.com top tip! Save money by buying your tickets for Beaulieu online in advance. You can visit again for free within 6 days (there's so much to do, you'll have great fun twice!)
- Just down the road from Beaulieu is Bucklers Hard. Discover the Maritime Museum and Bucklers Hard story, brought to life by living history characters.
Take a look at our Fun Days Out article for more ideas on places to visit locally...
If you hear of any other exciting things to do locally over the summer, do get in touch with us and let us know!