Covid-19 and self-isolation in the New Forest area - Local Help
Coronavirus in the New Forest area - community and volunteer groups - useful local information
Updated 8 April 2020: This general information page will continue to be shared regularly on Lymington.com's social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram) and in Weekly What's On, our free weekly direct email to subscribers - keep up to date by subscribing to this if you do not already receive it.
New Information 8 April: Lymington and Pennington Town Council Community Hub
In addition to the support line set up by Hampshire County Council (see below), Lymington and Pennington Town Council have set up a help desk, to help ensure that those isolating or vulnerable within the Lymington and Pennington community are able to receive their essentials.
You can contact the hub if you need to have some shopping done or a prescription picked up. If you provide a list of items you need, we can pick up from local shops and deliver to you.
Many residents have already been out helping those in need, facebook groups have been successful in linking people together. Thanks to all for operating so quickly to ensure that people have the essentials.
New help desk will be live from Tuesday 14 April
More volunteers needed: Many Lymington and Pennington Town Councillors are volunteering along with other members of the Community. If you have a valid DBS check and wish to become a volunteer for this service, please contact . Employees from the Town Council are also supporting the hub, undertaking all the administration and some of the deliveries.
- The Town Council has purchased PPE wear through local company Brandology, based at Efford Park, Lymington, the company imports many items from China and have been able to courier goods in time for the peak of the virus. The Town Council will provide volunteers with this PPE gear as well as donating to those in need of it.
- The Council aso thanks local resident, Di Wood, who has kindly made face masks that are washable and can be utilised by volunteers.
- ZenDesk.co.uk, have kindly provided the software for logging calls, free of charge for six months.
Local Helpline for vulnerable and isolated individuals and their families
Hampshire County Council have launched a new helpline available now to provide information and advice as well as practical support, for frail or vulnerable Hampshire residents. This system is working in conjunction with New Forest District Council and Lymington and Pennington Town Council for residents in our area.
The Coronavirus Hampshire Helpline - Hantshelp4vulnerable - is 0333 370 4000.
The helpline is available seven days a week, from 9am to 5pm, and is for vulnerable people who do not have support from families, friends or their local community, and who need urgent assistance with practical issues.
More information can be found via this link https://www.hants.gov.uk/socialcareandhealth/coronavirus/volunteer-welfare
Covid-19 General guidance and updates
Updates on Covid-19: https://www.gov.uk/coronavirus
About travel overseas: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/travel-advice-novel-coronavirus
If you are a council tenant and concerned about paying your rent in the event of self-isolation and a loss of earnings, please get in touch with the Rents Team at NFDC via email at or by phone on 02380285222 and selecting Option 2.
All schools are closed since 20 March 2020 until further notice, except for specific children who will be notified (e.g. children of key workers).
About examinations: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/updated-statement-on-coronavirus
Becky Wass, from Falmouth, has designed a postcard that can be used to put through neighbours' doors. Find a printable pdf here: bit.ly/viralkindness
- New Milton Covid-19 Support Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1308875849312554/
- Lymington and Pennington Coronavirus Assistance and Support: https://www.facebook.com/groups/CoronavirusLymington/
- Ringwood Coronavirus Assistance: https://www.facebook.com/groups/ringwoodcoronavirusassistance/
- Lyndhurst and Emery Down Emergency Assistance: https://www.facebook.com/groups/140512143949720/?hc_location=ufi
- Bournemouth Covid-19 Community Help Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1300755913646027
- Brockenhurst Covid Support Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/649805229182852/
We strongly suggest all support groups register on the National Helpline: Covidmutualaid.org
Local businesses now offering deliveries
Please see our article on New Forest businesses offering local deliveries. This is constantly being updated. Get in touch on to add to the list.
New Forest Organisations
- New Forest Mencap: "Whilst our activities are currently suspended our office remains open via homeworking. Please call on the usual number if we can help with any information or signposting for people with learning disabilities and their parents and carers. If you know of anyone with a learning disability or a parent or carer of someone with a learning disability who is struggling, please encourage them to get in contact with us". Contact: 01425 621893. http://www.newforestmencap.org.uk/
- New Forest Disability: "We are currently still open at New Forest Disability and have put on extra people to staff the phones, supporting our disabled and elderly clients as usual. We are still offering benefits advice appointments which can be over the phone for those that prefer. Opening hrs Mon/Tu/Th/Fri 10am – 5pm Wed 10am – 1pm answerphone at all times. Helpline: 01425 628750.
How to store your rubbish if you have confirmed or possible Covid-19
Also Update 9 April : use commonsense and when you see bins overflowing - please take rubbish home!
Advice on how to store your rubbish for anyone with confirmed or possible Coronavirus or if you are self-isolating (COVID-19)
- Double bag all waste that contains tissues
- Do not put it out for collection for at least 72 hours
Double bag: Personal waste (such as used tissues and disposable cleaning cloth) should be stored separately to other waste, put in a rubbish bag and then put into a second bag / black sack. This should be tied and kept separate from other waste in the room/s in which you are self-isolating.
Keep aside for at least 72 hours: Do not put it out for collection for at least 3 days. As an example, if you have filled/tied a bag on a Monday and your collection is due on a Thursday, that bag can be put out for collection on Thursday morning. However, if you have filled/tied a bag on a Monday and your collection is due on a Wednesday, you would need to hold onto that bag until your collection day the following week.
Other household waste can be disposed of as normal.
This advice is based on guidance form central government, designed to prevent transmission of the virus.
Support for New Forest businesses
Support for New Forest businesses is available from New Forest Business Partnership and New Forest District Council NFDC
The key link for businesses is to the Government website, to avoid duplication and confusion. That is at https://www.gov.uk/coronavirus/business-support.
NFBP Business Support Hour
This starts Wed 15 April and thereafter every Wednesday, 15.00-16.00. Details for the first one are at https://www.nfbp.org.uk/event/business-support-hour-15-april/. The subject for this hour will be crowdfunding opportunities. Details at: https://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/funds/crowdfund-solent. They are very keen for more businesses to take advantage of this - the funds are there to match fund.
Matthew Lawson, Chairman of NFBP is happy for any business to contact him directly by email and also encourages businesses to follow the @NFBP Twitter posts which will signpost you to the essential advice and support, and which are also using the hashtag #savenewforestbusinesses.
As Matthew says: “We are doing everything we can to support your business, so we can get through this together.”
Other relevant pages on this website now include:
- Tips for home schooling - https://www.lymington.com/135-parents-portal/1610-covid-19-home-schooling-across-the-new-forest
- Tips for staying sane https://www.lymington.com/129-health-beauty-fashion/1607-covid-19-self-isolation-new-forest
- Businesses providing delivery services (as mentioned above) https://www.lymington.com/133-locally/1606-new-forest-business-delivery-covid19